2022: Future of large housing estates© Leonhard von Reinersdorff
Assessment of the existing structure and assessment of the need for action in new residential construction
- Lehrstuhl und Institut für Städtebau der RWTH Aachen, Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Christa Reicher
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR),
- German Aerospace Center, Dr. Hannes Taubenböck
In cooperation with:
- RHA REICHER HAASE ASSOZIIERTE GmbH, Aachen
- SLU – Sachverständigenbüro für Luftbildauswertung und Umweltfragen, München
- Juniorprofessur Sicherung kulturellen Erbes der RWTH Aachen, Prof. Dr. Carola Neugebauer
supported by: VONOVIA, Bochum
The stock of settlements of post-war modernism and especially the large housing estates have so far been discussed mainly with regard to their failure and the associated social problems. A differentiated view of this evidence of massive demand for housing in connection with urban development models and social models as well as the contradiction of the subjective perception of these areas by residents and outsiders has not yet been adequately researched.
As part of the research project, the approaches of an evaluation methodology will be further developed into a systematic survey and evaluation tool in order to achieve a well-founded and consistent evaluation of the different typologies and framework conditions of the large housing estate.
The overarching goal of this project is to develop recommendations for future urban development projects based on a new, current understanding of the acceptance of these places and the interplay between physical conditions and perception. The project provides insights into the sustainable development and densification of existing large estates as well as the construction of new residential quarters on a larger scale.